Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 PM   #64
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by julieisafemme View Post
I enjoyed the documentary. I actually thought as a partner that many of the issues we deal with were shown and explored through Jen. I found their relationship very hard to watch. Their was a lot of tension and grief that I could feel. When she said she has to get know him over and over as things change and progress I could really relate to that. You do never know what is in store! A physical change, a different way of relating. Some could be just normal changes couples go through but there is usually a question or thought 'is this transition related'.

What I really would have liked to have seen is more about how they arrived at the idea that they are now a straight couple. I don't think all couples get to that place. I am not there yet. My concern is that the general public will look at Chaz and think that this is how it is for every transman.

I do though very much appreciate his coming forward and sharing his story. Oprah is big time mainstream. I am hoping this will contribute towards transpeople being recognized and accepted for who they are.
I thought it was very good on the relationship(s) part of transition.

Someone earlier was taken back that the interview with Cher were seperate, yet I could relate to that. If my mom was being interviewed it would be far more comfortable for both of us for it be seperate.

I saw the emphasis to be more on the emotional and relational aspects of transition then the nity grity struggles and process of transition.
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post: