View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
Mister Bent

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,827 Times in 1,721 Posts
Mister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST ReputationMister Bent Has the BEST Reputation

What a well played game! I saw only one noticeably bad call by a ref, but I admit I napped through part of the first half (not by intent, rough weekend!).

After the goal by Morgan at the 69 minute mark, it looked to me like the US team wasn't playing as tight, whereas Japan kept the pressure on. They did what the US typically does, and brought the game to us, and hard. Their relatively new goal tender really came through for them, especially during the shoot out at the end. She was exactly where we needed to be. Maybe the US team has more financial support, better training, but (to me) in the end it was the determination ("heart") that brought the win to the Japanese team. I'm disappointed for the US team, but really thrilled for the Japanese, who's country really could use something uplifting like this World Cup.

I thought both teams showed great conditioning, skill and heart, and played with grace. In addition, Hope Solo got the Golden Glove for being the top keeper in the tournament (as well as the bronze ball in the best player category) and Abby Wambach got the silver ball and the bronze boot for most goals scored. Japan's Sawa got the gold ball as the tournament's best player, as well as the gold boot for most goals scored. Silver went to Brazil's Marta.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
- H. L. Mencken
Mister Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mister Bent For This Useful Post: