Old 01-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #12
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Since the AIDS crisis of the 1980's, the FDA has banned all men who've had sex with another male since 1977 from donating blood. This 1985 provision argued that men who have sex with other men are at higher risk of contracting and transmitting HIV (through anal intercourse) and hepatitis, posing a health risk to potential recipients. This honestly isn't fair, labeling gay/bi/transexual men/women more susceptible to contracting and transmitting HIV/AIDS. In other words, a pre or post-op MTF who goes down to the Red Cross has to answer a questionnaire honestly stating whether or not has had sexual contact with a man. Given that she's "biologically/genetically/DNA-wise, male to the Red Cross", it's considered "gay sex", particularly anal penetration. Doesn't matter if it was a million years ago, protected, with non-infected partner, if you've had regular negative tests and they even retest the blood, they still won't accept it.

The same would apply to FTMs who have had or do have sex with men, particularly anal, pass as male and have had all documents/gender marker changed. Those FTMs who have never had sex with men would not be affected, I would think.

This is the way I understand the policy. Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes, there is also a policy (wrong, imo) in Canada that bans gay men from giving blood.

But, the way Linus wrote his statement reads to me that being trans is SOLE the reason for being banned from giving blood.

I get what you are saying, though. If one presents as a man, gives ID with gender marker changed to male, and answer the questions about having sex with a man since a certain year, then, yes, no blood could be given.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote