View Single Post
Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 AM   #34
wolfwalker

How Do You Identify?:
human

wolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to beholdwolfwalker is a splendid one to behold
Default lifting the house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
OK.. so here's a new one...

How do you go about jacking up a house? Ours is "drooping" in the back area.. specifically the kitchen.

There is a good clearance under it to place jacks/ supports. I have been told to use "pop bottle" jacks ( sure, I know what those are) and that the process has to be very slow, so as not to upset the foundation.

Is this something I should undertake myself or hire a professional " jacker?" WTF is a house jacker upper called anyway?? LOL. Anyone ( hint Jack) know of a good website with video showing the process?

There is very mild "sloping" in other areas, but the kitchen is the most dramatic. The wife says she hadn't noticed it so much until we placed a new round table in there, which makes it glaringly obvious. So,.. yet another wee little project in the ongoing saga of Extreme Home Makeover: Butch Edition.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jess
Jess, you can do it yourself. I raised an old farmhouse and made all the repairs myself.

it takes time. it took time to get that way and it will take time to get it back level. if you rush it. you will be looking at your house on the ground.

I will explain this whole thing to you and show you how when i come down that way for a visit. which will be soon. but you need to also check the source of the sag. is it just old age? or is it termites?

if its termites, house needs to be treated first. if it old age, cool. As long as you have good clearance. it not a hard job. its the time it takes to right it that makes it look harder then it is. The house has to be raised slowly over the course of a week or two. a bit at a time. when i did the farm. i did it in 1/8th to 1/4th inch every 2 days. this gave everything time to slowly move back into position. it means making adjustments every 2 days to several bottle jacks and supports. not really a biggie. but time consuming. How big an area it is will guide how many jacks and supports you need.

the biggest thing is make a list of supplies, check it twice before you do anything. the last thing you need is to be missing something in the process of raising.

wolfwalker
wolfwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfwalker For This Useful Post: