View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #97
Heart

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
rainbows!

Thanked 2,531 Times in 412 Posts
Heart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST ReputationHeart Has the BEST Reputation

Martina - I love your posts here.

Lesbian is as much a culturally/politically/socially bound term and identity as it is a sexual orientation.

You know.... I knew that this thread ran the risk of turning into policing of the term lesbian...

If the thread is also a reaction to recent BV conflicts, I notice that the butch women who split from BV stated that their primary concerns were transparency, and the fact that BV no longer had a strongly articulated feminist, anti-misogynist, anti-agist message. I think that's important, because they are focusing on issues, not identities. That's what solidarity is really about.

But back to lesbian pride: If you express pride in being a lesbian and/or honor that history/experience, I don't need to take an inventory of who you've slept with or even what your genitals look like to stand with you under the banner of lesbian pride.

Heart
Heart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Heart For This Useful Post: