The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Hi Linus!

Yesterday I came home to find our home page inaccessible and a yahoo wizard open asking me what text message we had received. There were multiple options, all related to changing my password. Closing out of the window did no good; I couldn't access the home page through the button on the navbar no matter what because the wizard kept popping back up. I could, however, access any other web page in any usual way.

Um, do I need to say we hadn't received any text messages at all? Or did you already know that?

Anyhow, we signed out of yahoo, closed down the browser, and ran Housecall. It found six items, all something to do with "root kits" from what Gryph told me; and it says it fixed them.

The %^$# yahoo wizard is still keeping us from using the homepage button. We can go in from a different link, but we don't know how to get this thing off our computer. Am I right in assuming that if I use the wizard, it will still send our password out to whomever hacked us in the first place despite our having run Housecall?

I guess Firefox has gotten popular enough to draw the attention of hackers now. It's really annoying.

If someone installed a keylogger (a small program that records all your keystrokes) your password to sites is probably the least of your worries. Root kits are never fun but it does sound like it's something more serious. You have a tool bar that you use, like a Yahoo bar or something? Do you remember which one you installed?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote