Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,245 Times in 1,415 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Bumping this thread, as after nearly 50 years on the planet, I now know what is going on with me. I'm not "stupid", "unmotivated", "not applying myself", "ditzy", or especially "special education". I have ADD.

What happened was that my son can not remember the nose on his face to save his life, I haven't seen the floor of his room for a year, and he's brilliant but does his homework in a way only he understands. So, on a hunch, I took him to a child psychologist for evaluation. As she asked him questions, I found myself thinking "That was me" or "Yeah, me too". So I got myself evaluated. Now I know why I do the things I do, and why I make my life so hard. I'm not crazy or some kind of failure. The counselor pointed out that I'd finished college and a masters' degree, and raised my kids in the best way I knew. I'd coped around ADD without knowing it.

The good news for both my son and I is that the problems can be addressed, and how fortunate for my son that schools know something about this and won't lump him as "slow", "stupid", "slob". Back when I was his age, ADD was unheard of, and it was a moral failing that my desk was a mess, I forgot slips and homework, and I'd lose mittens, my jacket, library books. Now we both have a lot of work to do, but at least I can work with myself and not fight it.

A great book: The ADD-Friendly Way to Organize Your Life, by Kolberg and Nadeau. I found it today at B&N.