How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

thanks, bulldog i feel like we tend to agree on most things here.

i did not align marriage with white and middle class. i aligned the mainstream lgbtq movement with white and middle class. it's something of a coincidence that the single issue there is marriage - that does not mean that marriage isn't important to other folks. the distinction i'm trying to make is that the rest of us have other issues that disproportionately affect us, but don't necessarily affect the face of the mainstream lgbtq movement (which is mainly white and middle class), and that's why (it seems to me anyway) that our issues are not considered as important.

i'm grateful for obama's statement. i know it was not meant to address other issues - i didn't expect it to. i'm just frustrated that he will NEVER address other issues because the mainstream lgbtq movement has ignored those other issues. for example, i don't see obama coming out and saying something about the recent murders of trans* women of color in the bay area the way he did about gay marriage.

i do understand and respect that in this particular instance that would have been a tangent. i'm looking at the bigger picture - what are we doing in our movement that is causing this situation where other urgent issues aren't being covered in mainstream media and by politicians? and the answer to that, to my understanding, is the single-pointed focus on gay marriage. that doesn't mean that in this particular instance i don't think it's great that obama came out (sort of, as a states' rights issue) in support of gay marriage. it's just - if we look at the larger picture of media and political coverage - could our movements be more inclusive? i hope so.

i can't apologize for mistrusting all politicians, unforunately. given the oppressive structure of our systems, and the corruptive weight of lobbying interests and other issues.... well. i have trust issues out the wazoo anyway i'm glad i voted for obama. originally it was a last minute decision out of fear for safety, given the violent islamophobic tension in the last election, but this time i will be voting for him with eyes wide open. he's the best option we have. i just...have too much faith in people to settle for the idea that our current way of doing things is the only way. like sparkle said, i want my basic human and civil rights. full stop.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post: