Old 03-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #119
Goofy

How Do You Identify?:
Cheesecake Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
I'm blushing

Goofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST ReputationGoofy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia View Post
Goofy,
Good point, wanting to know more about your group though...
I am curious as to the specifics of HOW your group discusses triggers and daily dealing without mentioning any of the "war story". In my experiences, my triggers come FROM what happened and that makes it very difficult to discuss without it relating to others what happened to me. Everyone's PTSD is coming from different places and not just from the same shared "war". On other sites we Title our sensitive sharing type posts with "possibly triggering" and/ or write in red. With chat that wont be possible as we are interacting without pre thought out posts and titles.
It's true that triggers come from what happened, and that's why we're there in the first place. In my group, many triggers involve anniversary dates of an event, and we bring that up as such. Like, "I have an anniversary coming up and I've realized I'm more anxious, quick to anger..." etc. Others involve situations, smells or events. We bring those up in the same sort of ways, without revealing details. It's kind of difficult to explain the exact "how's" of how we get around it, but we do.

My PTSD stems both from childhood trauma and a situation I was in while in the Army. Since it's a VA group, it's much easier to not reveal histories of situations related to the military because, to some degree, we all have a similar experience. But I've also found that those folks are pretty accepting of non-military related triggers. Once, someone brought up a subject that was a trigger from my childhood. I started to twitch, literally. I told him it was a trigger for me; that it was something that happened when I was young. That's all I needed to say. No one questioned me as to what happened or why it was a trigger. We talked instead about *now*; how it presented itself (anxiety, anger, etc) and how to deal with that.

I bring all of this up because I know that when it was suggested that I start attending the PTSD group that I'm now a part of, that I had so many reservations. I didn't want to tell my stories to a bunch of strangers, regardless of whether they had been through similar situations or not. I didn't necessarily want to hear anyone else's story, lest they trigger me. I've been in the same group for almost a year now, and most days it's a life line. I feel sane, despite the insanity.

I'm not sure if this makes as much sense to you, or anyone else, as it does in my head. But I hope it clarified a bit.
Goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goofy For This Useful Post: