How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation
Default Why presidents should not hunt vampires:

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
I saw the trailers too. I will look into the book after you give your review. No pressure! lol...
Thanks, Kim! There was so little pressure that I forgot to post! Okay, my considered opinion of the book Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter: it sucked. Bad pun aside, it really was dreadful. Form, content, style, I loathed it all.

I'll try to write this with as few spoilers as possible, but it's going to be tough. There are some glaring inconsistencies that I'm just aching to sink my teeth into. (oops, sorry.)

Let's start with the obvious: Does Abraham Lincoln make a believable vampire hunter? Well, maybe. He's got all the qualifications for a Dark Knight kind of super hero: tragedy and loss at an early age, a super-human strength or talent (axes, of course!), an obsession with revenge/justice, and oh, let's not forget the constant brooding. He's a tortured soul, our Abe.

His motivations as a vampire hunter are clear enough once you realize just how much the pesky vampires screwed up his childhood (and continue to screw up his adulthood). What's less clear is the motivation of Henry, the "good" vampire who teaches Abe how to hunt vampires and which ones to kill. For someone otherwise known as a brave and forward thinker, Abe comes off as a tool for a good part of the book as he races off to do Henry's bidding.

The author comes off as a tool as well, since the book's premise is that the author was commanded by Henry himself to write it. But why would Henry want to share the Great American Vampire Secret with the world? And why now? And with this author? I know it must sound like a trifling point... I mean, if I'm going to buy off on vampires and the presidents who kill them, why can't I look past Good Vampire Henry inserting himself into the present-day narrative via the author's life? It seemed to promise a shocking plot twist, but no, it was just a vehicle to get us to the book's true purpose: To make history cool for high schoolers who hate history.

Passages from Lincoln's secret vampire diaries are liberally dispersed throughout the text, along with quotes and passages from his more famous speeches and writings. The author tries to match Lincoln's cadence with the vocabulary of that time period, but at times it comes off clunky and hokey. I tend to feel a few steps removed when reading present-day diary-based narratives. Add another few steps back for the 150-year-old language, and another step back for constantly thinking "what makes the author think he can write a pretend-diary of one of the greatest orators in American history??"

I'm really not a history purist- if you can have fun with history, I'm all for it. But the author failed to make it come alive for me, and it had very little to do with all the Undead.