Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
stone femme Daddy's girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
disinterested

Thanked 3,745 Times in 734 Posts
Nomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST ReputationNomad Has the BEST Reputation

:bump:

heard today: i always date people who are uglier than i am so that i can feel good about myself. and people think i'm less shallow if i date an ugly person because i can obviously get someone cute but i'm with an ugly person so i must have looked deeper than the physical right? and ugly people are always so grateful that you give them a shot. (insert laughter) it's a win win situation. they get to be with me and i get to look good to myself and to everyone else!

as someone who fits into the non-pretty category, i found this stunning at best. but it brings up some relevant discussion points.

we're attracted to what we're attracted to. no sense pretending we're not. but if beauty is in the eye of the beholder AND what's inside counts more than what's outside - or at least that's what they tell the ugly kids while we're growing up - then why does being physically attractive appear to be more important than anything else? media fed cultural standards? are we just a truly superficial population? is there some kind of instinctual screening process that we have no control over?

what is it that makes people hope they'll meet and fall in love with someone good looking?

would you turn away an average looking or unattractive potential partner with whom you had a good connection if you also had a good connection with someone better looking?

do you settle for or accept less from a good looking person than you do from someone who was plain or considered ugly by your familiar cultural standards? (rumor has it that we ALL do this)

if the people who knew you best in the world (so they love you and have your very best interests at heart) set you up on a blind date with someone you had a lot in common with and who sounded perfect in every way and then you found out, before the date, that they were physically unattractive (by your standards) would you cancel the date? why or why not?

now no one is going to be schmuck enough to rush right up to say 'yes! me! i'm THAT shallow!' we all know this. but we also know that physical attraction is an extremely powerful motivator. ther's no need to deteriorate into 'she had great tits' or 'if hy has a nice ass' or 'i love his washboard abs' because it's dull and we're much cleverer than that. but i'd like to hear people's thoughts, whether they choose to answer any of the questions or not, on what it is that makes physical attraction so motivating.
Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote