Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,892 Times in 5,770 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftWriteFemme View Post
I was listening to a statistician today and he was commenting on the fact that local weather forecasters have wet bias, meaning that they predict a higher probability of precipitation then the national weather service numbers indicate......Okay so now comes the part where you need to bear with me......

So my question is: Do you think that here on our "Planet" we have a 'wet bias" meaning, is it possible that we tend to predict more possibilities for success in our online interactions than we might if say we all lived around the corner from one another? I haven't formed an opinion, I mean seriously it might be "reverse wet bias" for all I know, but the question intrigued me.

I would really love to hear what you think about it?

Do you think about it....

I find myself much more misunderstood online than in person. I actually expect that if I am walking into a semi heated conversation, or really any conversation besides light ones, that there is a good chance someone will take something I said the wrong way and take offense. It has happened even when I have put out every disclaimer in the book before saying my thoughts.

However, this is happening less now, which I assume is people having a better sense of my style of communication. I have never experienced this face to face, though, so I dunno. All I do know is that I am glad it isn't happening as much. I am also aware that I came to the conclusion at some point that I can only do the best I can to get my point across.

ETA: I see that the posters above me answered the question under the assumption that LWF was referring to potential romantic partners. Obviously, I read LWF's question as being about general online communication, as indicated by what I highlighted in her post.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: