View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #209
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
It's very unfair but on the flip side is that women CAN do it all. I'm not going to get into the whole gender equality thing because in my perception there is no equality. And we all know that there are exception to the gender rules, however, how many men are working, raising kids and dealing with everything on Dee's list? Yes, there are SOME.
Jumping off Sachita here...

Yes women can do it all. And for a 3/4 of the cost, a fraction of the ownership and triple the workload.

I sort of agree there is no equality. I'm not entirely convinced that equality should be the end goal. Parity? maybe. I do know I am unwilling to settle for less than at least equal by my personal definition of needs/wants. And in my personal pursuit of my life's liberty I remain committed to working toward the equity women as a community.

Being raised by a super strong woman. One who really wanted to have babies and bake brownies... I've learned a thing or two about choosing and the unknown. My mom choose to marry my dad and have kids and planned on staying home with the kids. It didn't work out that way. And I am grateful. Because I got to see what it means to want and go for it ALL and the cost of doing it all (for less, with less and triple the workload).

Now I know. People can say all they want about what I am supposed to do. How I should live and what ideal I should hold myself too. And I am not going to buy it. Not with out looking at it. Examining it, finding what fits, what doesn't and how it can be altered.

I know I have it easier than my mom. Her telling me this doesn't make me angry or even doubt myself anymore. It reminds me who different choices and times lead to different outcomes. I treasure that she shares her lessons. Making my own choices and relying on community and resources is part of how I honor her.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post: