Old 03-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #99
curlyredhead

How Do You Identify?:
Female to Male "Straight"
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Taken

curlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputationcurlyredhead Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoButch24 View Post
Believe it or not, I got the cochlear implant for my family, not myself. I was happy being deaf, but they made no real effort to try to communicate. It was always done on their end. Meaning, I have to make things work, I have to read lips, I have to ask them to speak up or speak clearly. So, it was necessary that I should get the cochlear implant.

There are times where I wished they tried, and that I never got the implant. I do wish I met more deaf people growing up, that I wasn't always mainstreamed. I wish I had a chance to chose so to speak. After getting the implant I was right back where I started decades ago when my parents realized I had progressive hearing loss. I am stuck between two worlds, the deaf and the hearing. Both of which are incredibly judgmental.

Do I regret it? I don't know.

I do wish to date someone in the same boat as me, or someone deaf. I want to gain a new experience, a new world and a chance to see where I truly belong.

Thanks for your comment you bring up a very interesting topic something that is always discussed about in the Deaf Community. I am hard of hearing I have been wearing hearing aids since I was 2 and now I am 32, I was born with my hearing loss. As I have gotten older in the past 10 years my hearing has progressively gotten worse. My audiologist and I have spoken about this, and where this could lead me to in the next decade of my life. I am already wearing high powered hearing aids with amplification that's at a high level currently. As for getting more amplification, these will last me probably another 5 yrs or so before I may have to get a cochlear implant. I was raised mainstream, and I took 10 years of speech therapy growing up. The only thing is I don't really know ASL. I have tried to take classes for it, but I just can't remember it enough to use it. But what I find bizarre and interesting is when I am with friends who can't hear or are deaf but still able to communicate by mouth movements and slight voice. I typically will sign the basics of what I know currently. My situation growing up was the opposite then yours, I had too much hearing so therefore I was told to learn speech and not waste my opportunity to live in the mainstream world. But yet I feel so lost sometimes because I don't purely fit in the hearing world or the deaf world 2 very different cultures.
curlyredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to curlyredhead For This Useful Post: