justanolecowboy

How Do You Identify?:
ftm
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
committed.

Thanked 1,957 Times in 458 Posts
justanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputation
Post Romantic - Romance?

I’ve read this thread with some interest – how some think they are – others think they are not – based on - how they feel or react or things they do – romance is very much an individual thing...I think some people think they aren’t “romantic” because they don’t fit the “hallmark” version of what we’ve been told romance is - meaning if you show up for a special date with a dozen long stem roses – a box of “Whitman sampler” chocolates and a bottle of sparkling “whatever” (oh and let’s not forget the giant stuffed teddy bear with a big red heart on it) – you are romantic and if you don’t – you are not...

Me, personally – I don’t think “hallmark” has done “romance” any favors – there is nothing “romantic” about crowding in the local pharmacy around a card rack with 14 other guys – on the day of “any” land mark occasion – stepping on dropped envelopes – or not finding one at all – and then just “picking one” – because you are in a hurry – and simply scrawling – “love, ____” at the end of a pre-written verse – that 2,364 other women are reading at the same time your loved one might be – (but) – on the other hand – I realize that even the very act of evening “thinking” about buying a card – is “romantic” to some – so, again – it is an individual thing.

I think we fellas and ladies too – put too much pressure on ourselves and have self-debate about “if” we are being romantic – because some magazine has written a list of the “10 Most Romantic Things to do for your Lover” – and you read them – and say – oh, well wow – no, I’ve never actually taken my wife on a romantic cruise – renewed our wows on the white sandy beaches of “wherever” …(OK – you know I exaggerate on these things by now) – but seriously – I’ve been guilty of it – I “read” those things sometimes – we all do … and I’m scratching my head thinking – “yeah…I don’t do any of that” – but does that mean I’m not “romantic” – because the Editor at Romance Weekly says I’m not because I didn’t do “x y or z” – and seriously – how do you know your partner or loved one isn’t reading the same list on “girls night out” - and they are laughing because the list is usually so out of perspective with what most view everyday romance might even be.

Being romantic to me – isn’t some sweeping grand gesture once a year on a special occasion like a birthday/anniversary or the “biggie” Valentine’s day...not that I don’t like to do “special” things I do – but I don’t necessarily consider them “romantic” I guess.

To me? Romantic is part of the whole package of “romance” itself – it’s not a “once in a while kind of thing” – and if you love someone deeply – and unconditionally – I think “romance” is just part of that “love” – so what some consider ordinary perhaps is romantic to me…part of what makes (her) romantic to me – even if she doesn’t realize it – is who she is – the essence of who she is - how she conducts her everyday life and around other people – how she makes them feel – when I see how they react to her – and appreciate her words or kindness – and the fact that it isn’t even something she “thinks” about – she just does – because it is “part of her” –and I smile inside because she has such a grace and elegance about her and I’m so proud of who she is as a person - or to me it’s romantic that she knows I hate meatloaf and that I love Dutch Apple pie – that she always remembers to have lots of milk in the refrigerator – or that she no matter how busy her day might be - stops always at some point to give me that special smile – or text or phone call that makes me know in that moment – nothing or no one else was more important to her than me…now – (that) to me is romantic – but you don’t see that in a magazine or on a list or inside a hallmark card…I think there are those that can be “romantic” without actually truly “loving someone” – but for me – it is all tied in together – the flowers that I might give her as a “grand gesture” means nothing – if I don’t love her enough or pay attention enough to do the small things – like take out the garbage without being asked – or fix the door – or mow the grass without being reminded…yeah – it’s in the everyday.

But, now – you know– I ramble…lol! – These threads just get me to thinking about topics in general but the question was do I see myself as romantic. Do I like to think that I weave daily romance into the way that I simply love her the best way I know how every day? – yes.

Is that romantic – hopeless or otherwise? No – I don’t think so –

it just means - I.simply.love.her.

justanolecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justanolecowboy For This Useful Post: