Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,617 Times in 1,559 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post

IMO as the law and Immigration Policy stands today in the USA Queer families have a greater opportunity for immigration to the USA then they would via current policy.

Again, if you are under educated, poor and queer, the circumstances are not in your favor. Do any of you have an opinion on USA Immigration Policy? Are you willing to talk about it here in this thread? Better yet, are you willing to do anything about current USA Immigration Policy for Queer people and/are all people?

http://www.siliconvalley.com/news/ci...h-tech-workers
I agree with you, I prefer (in theory) the family immigration policy.

I think the merit/points system that Canada and Australia operate is great for a small group of migrants who are highly skilled and/or educated but aren't wealthy enough to "buy" investor visas, or in specific job categories that are in high demand (nurses, etc). But the merit system is classist and it leaves an enormous gap in accessibility. I believe the best policies are as open, accessible and variable as possible.

Why can't we have both family immigration and a merit system as well as a system that is flexible enough to respond to the gaps and growth industry and the job market.

Well...you know...'why can't we' besides the right wing reactionaries who whip up a fury of fear and hatred and ignorance by spreading blatant lies about immigrants stealing our jobs and getting free houses and fancy cars and groceries and ivy league educations.

I've been a queer immigration activist and fundraiser for over a decade. And I've been watching the action alerts coming from Out4Immigration about the current immigration reform bill being negotiated, calling and emailing senators with sway, as requested. I can only *HOPE* (and hope hard) that the provision for LGBT couples is not used as a bargaining chip and tossed out of the bill.

I know that there is a much bigger population of migrants that need support; I hope the work I do helps them too; but right now my LGBT migrants and asylum seekers are my number one priority.