Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Re-Posting.....

Able-bodied privilege checklist:

This list is based on Peggy McIntosh’s article on white privilege. These dynamics are but a few examples of the privilege which able-bodied people have.

On a daily basis as an able-bodied person…

1. I can easily arrange to be in the company of people of my physical ability.

NO

2. If I need to move, I can easily be assured of purchasing housing I can get access to easily - accessibility is one thing I do not need to make a special point of looking for.

NO

3. I can be assured that my entire neighborhood will be accessible to me.

NO NO NO

4. I can assume that I can go shopping alone, and they will always have appropriate accommodations to make this experience hassle-free.

HELL NO

5. I can turn on the television or open a newspaper and see people of my physical ability represented.

NOPE

6. When I learned about history, people of my physical ability were well represented.

NON-EXISTENT

7. I was given curricular material which showed people like me as a role model.

NO

8. I can be assured that assumptions about my mental capabilities will not be made based on my physical status.

OH HELL NO

9. I can swear, dress sloppily, or even be in a bad mood without people attributing it to my physical disability.

NOPE

10. I can do well in challenging situations very often without being told what an inspiration I must be to other able-bodied people.

THAT KIND OF PANDERING MAKES ME BARF

11. I have been asked to speak for all physically challenged people.

UH NO, BUT I HAVE PIPED UP TO ADVOCATE FOR MYSELF AND OTHERS

12. Almost always, when asking to speak to the person in charge, will find someone of the same physical status.

NO, AND VERY UNLIKELY TO EVER FIND THAT

13. I can buy posters, postcards, picture books, greeting cards, dolls, toys, children’s magazines featuring people of the same physical status.

HAHA NOT IN THIS SPHERE

14. I can take a job with an affirmative action employer without having someone suspect I got my job because of my disability.

I COULDN'T EVEN GET AN INTERVIEW, LET ALONE A JOB

15. If I am fired, not given a raise, or not hired, I do not have to question whether it had anything to do with my appearing physically incompetent..

DOES NOT APPLY

Addition:

I can be assured that assumptions about my sexuality and sexual needs and desires as well will not be made based on my physical status.

NO, IT IS ASSUMED I HAVE NO SEXUALITY, NO SEXUAL NEEDS, NO DESIRES, AND NEVER WILL.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: