Old 01-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #17
Yew

How Do You Identify?:
ftm, trans*
Preferred Pronoun?:
he him his
Relationship Status:
Single

Yew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST ReputationYew Has the BEST Reputation

I stopped subscribing to Psychology Today magazine because almost every cover featured a pieced out or semi-obscured female image on it, often used too promote articls and concepts of thing that 'we' aka everyone, needs to change...yet no images of men were evident! This pissed me off badly enough that I took a few of them to my MSW Diversity class to use as an example of sexism. I post the link here...I see at least 8 images using women in thisv derogatory manner, just on one page of the site. I was and remain awed that a psychology production does this, as sexism, invisibility and micro-aggressions are pretty hot topics to psychology in general. I do enjoy and find interesting many of this magazines articles but can't stomach seeing cover after cover with women who are relegated to body parts, faceless or with words, paint etc hiding the faces that are there

http://www.psychologytoday.com/magazine?tr=Hdr_Magazine

And actually, I felt similarly at the time about the Equality magazine that the HRC was mailing out- most women depicted were femme(no offense to femme's, but...) the lack of images of butch women got me fired up as well as the lack of trans people...lot's of pretty gay men, femmes and sporty types; they at least got cultural/ethnic diversity in there, which I gave kudos for but the rest left out too many folks who represent and make up the lgbtq continuum, reinforcing my beliefs that the magazines purpose was to pander to the allies who donate to the HRC by soft pedaling exactly who lgbtq people even are