View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 03:35 PM   #12408
CherryWine

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian femme

Thanked 10,084 Times in 2,186 Posts
CherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST ReputationCherryWine Has the BEST Reputation

This morning I tried to be nice and strike up a conversation with one of my coworkers by asking her if her house had sold yet. It had. Congrats was given.

She then carried on for quite a while about how stressful the process of selling the house was for her and her husband, how stressful it was finding the perfect private school for her son to attend, and how stressful it will be finding the perfect house close enough to the perfect school. All the while, I am nodding along. Then she says, "It is just stressful being a grown up! One day you will understand!" Oh really, now? Will I? Boy, I sure do appreciate this sage reassurance from a person who is ONE year older than me. I just bit my tongue, smiled a big smile, told her good luck with everything, and retreated back to my sandbox...er, I mean office.

The same coworker has previously insinuated that until a person has a child, he or she cannot possibly know what it feels like to experience a fulfilled life. To her, maybe that is what makes her feel like she has a fulfilled life. If so, then good for her! Although, I am not so sure how fulfilled she really is considering that I always see her comparing herself to the only other coworker close to our age. A coworker who has a bigger house, nicer car, thinner body, two cute kids, and is always dressed up to the nines. For me, that has always proven to be a surefire way to make me feel unfulfilled and unhappy...by comparing myself to others. I don't do that anymore, and it sure is freeing.

It troubles me how so many women look down on themselves or others because they haven't achieved the goals that society has set for them since they were little girls. It troubles me that so many of them did not even give these preconceived goals a second thought. Never even questioned them, just reached for them at all costs to the detriment of who knows what. Maybe they really are happy. I certainly know many who are! I also know some who just put on the happy face and go through the motions of what is expected.

I feel certain that I am preaching (or rambling) to the choir here, but this is what has been on my mind today.
CherryWine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to CherryWine For This Useful Post: