View Single Post
Old 03-12-2015, 04:05 PM   #8
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks to those of you who have jumped in.

I think my referencing the purchasing of tampons served to derail where I hope this thread will go. No doubt that activity is uncomfortable, gross or even anxiety causing for some. The reason I mentioned it, however, was simply as an example in my recent history of having to choose a product specifically because I am female. I realize that might make it seem as though I'm inclined to lose sight of that fact, but as I wrote in the original post, it's more that I just rarely think about it. I live in a part of the country, (north of Seattle) where "Ma'am" is not widely used, unlike when I lived in North Carolina where it served as an almost daily reminder. Here, too, it seems as though people accept others as just people. My experience has largely been that my reception is the same from men and women. Maybe that's the case because of how I make my way in the world. I don't know. I can't speak to that anymore than theoretically.

My talking about wearing a bra was only to show the distinction between that and every other single thing I wear. As I do that every day, while it is inherently a female article of clothing, I don't even think about it that way anymore. It's just part of my daily dressing routine. Someone mentioned wearing women's sneakers because they have small feet. I couldn't even if I wanted to, lol. I wear a men's 10.5-11. Friends tease me, saying it's a good thing I'm Butch because if I had to try to cram my feet into girly shoes I'd be in BIG trouble. By the way, my use of "girly" is in no way intended to be dismissive or demeaning. I have huge affection and admiration for things girly when they are used, worn and expressed by others for whom it is fitting.

I think it's possible I'm rambling, so, back to the point. Most of the time I don't give much energy to thinking about being female. When I am reminded about it because of choices I have to make, it almost surprises me. Is that weird? It's not a negative experience, just a little strange. While my personal definition of Butch is one of female masculinity, existing within or without proximity to Femme, it is certainly the case that when I am around Femme energy I feel even more Butch. Considering my own take on Butch, one might surmise, then, that feeling more so would also engender more feelings of femaleness, but I don't find that to be the case. I suppose I'm wondering if my experience is unique. I cannot imagine it is.