Old 07-10-2014, 06:43 PM   #25
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren_Q View Post
My spouse and I started making plans for our old age in our mid 40s. Both of us putting the max we could into savings/401K, etc.

Financially we're tied together and our wills (and other legal paperwork) are in order and in a fireproof safe (and with our attorney). All of our banking, insurance, etc data is also held in same said safe (along w/passports) We review all the documents annually.

I live in the SF bay area and wish to remain there. We were lucky and were able to buy a 4-plex during the real estate bust (big downpayment, but worth it). We live in one of the units, the rent on the other 3 pay the mortgage with a bit to spare for property taxes.

If rents stay even we're in very good stead for retiring and not having to worry about having a roof over our heads. The eventual goal is to have an intentional community living in our building. I'm still hitting my max on 401K and my we've recently purchased long term care insurance.

We also discussed senior living or what happens if one (or both) of us become infirm. We can move to a downstairs unit and could possibly afford to subsidize housing for a health care worker. We also have the option for reverse mortgage (if it's still available in let's say 20 years)

At worst we can sell the 4-plex and head to senior living.
Impressive planning!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: