Thread: Music Talk
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #35
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,366 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

The Lady Snow mentioned Hal Ketchum on the two-step thread. He is totally not the kind of artist who usually floats my boat. Smooth, sweet, pretty country pop and folk.

But I have always LOVED Hal. He's a good songwriter. Consistent. Some of his songs might on the surface sound like radio country, but they are not. Smarter and not emotionally manipulative. When he writes, he's not trying to create a hit. He is accessing himself, a real person, a good person. And while the experiences he talks about are very common and he is not a genius with words, he still creates original moments. He does have some roots stuff and definitely collaborates with roots musicians, who adore him. But, I guess what I mean is you could miss that it's really good if you just went by the sound.

And I love his mellow personal energy. I was sad when I learned -- many years ago now -- that he has MS. I have only seen him a few times. He is still out and about though he has had years of little to no productivity. He's well loved by his peers, which is pretty rare.

Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post: