katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Me, too. It is fine for gays/lesbians and us to serve in secret and die for this country... but not live as we are as human beings.

First- away with DADT completely and forever .... then we move on to Transpeople serving openly (or not, by personal choice), period!!

Although, I did not serve, my Dad (way back in the calvary- born in 1906!), brother (Vietnam Era Vet, but was stateside in the Army reserves for 6 years- was alergic to bees- no Vietnam jungles for him), a cousin (Vietnam, fought as a Marine), and two Uncles did- they were in WWII and Korea, one in the Navy, the other Army.

Now that I think about it, look at how many of just us here have several relatives (or themselves) that have served and I honestly feel like most US citizens in their everyday lives don't give a flying hooray (or even think about them unless something big gets televised) about our troops in these wars and what these multi-deployments are doing to their families and to them.

Maybe this is because of where I live? There is a base in Fairfield, CA that is within an hour from me, but I feel like people here are in some kind of fishbowl and don't get just how many people are serving and serving and serving. When I lived in Sacramento, there were 2 AF bases, but now I think both are closed.

Dunno... just on my mind.
I agree ALH, most civilians have no idea the high level of stress and the tremendous sacrifice our troops and their families make for this country! The divorce rate is high. The pay sucks!!! Children are born and go through much of their first years without a parent or parents which is not a good way to grow up. Children unborn can be affected negatively by their parents exposure to dangerous chemicals like Agent Orange. Spouses left at home endure unbelievable loneliness and fear on a day to day basis. And many troops after they get home often find themselves bankrupt, homeless and have lost children in custody battles.

The vets that are wounded all too many times do not get proper medical care and some feel the sting of this the rest of their lives. Bob Woodward (from ABCNews received a severe head injury while embedded with the troops in Iraq I believe) he has done some heartbreaking reports covering our wounded troops from these two wars. I cry when watching these reports and cheer their courage and fortitude facing major life-altering injuries and their families who are also affected. I could go on and on about the treatment of our vets; terrible!!!!

In addition to my ex-husband and step-father being in the US Navy; my father served as a pilot in the Navy during the Korean War. My brother served in the Army back in the early 1970s. Being a dependent of military personnel requires children to grow up in a big hurry and assume grown up roles far too early.

In spite of the fact that I have supported no wars in my lifetime; I always supported our troups!!!! And they did and always will amaze me the courage under fire!!!! I am ready (as I am sure many are ready) for our troops to come home and begin to put their lives back together.