View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 03:28 PM   #26
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passionaria View Post

I think the sound you try for, has to do with what you are voicing. Or the sound of the station you work for. In news reporting yes definitely, the crisp sound adds authority and believability to a story. For DJing or public affairs, I prefer warm, accessible, and friendly with an edge of sultry. Fun stuff.

that makes perfect sense now that i think about it - dj's swim in that warm deep sound while ads and news spots are far more out front and on top and present

i also know an engineer who swears by the heil pr40. he wants to put that mic on everyone. he claims it is superior to the sm7 but i have yet to hear for myself. i would love to get my mitts on one and see what kind of magic it can do

have you considered large diaphragm condensers - they are usually very transparent but i can recommend

the rode nt1 - it has a really smooth sound and comes at a budget price. i've found quite a few of them lately at the pawn shops for about $100. it definitely doesn't sound like a budget mic and slightly off axis it darkens up quite nice
and actually the nt2 as well - it comes with selectable polar patterns and high pass filter but it costs a bit more

and

the neumann tlm103
this mic has sounded amazing on everything i've put it on
it's super quiet so even whispers can be captured with amazing clarity
and run it through an avalon pre - heaven
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote