Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,245 Times in 1,415 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

Facebook, and myself, because I can be so wimpy.

I'm getting really close to defriending anyone who posts anything but pictures of cats, Russia, and Ireland. I hate the thought of taking the whole thing down completely.

This time, it was a "friend"-you know, one of those people you knew back in Flintstone days and somehow reconnected with. I didn't even know her that well back then, and I am amazed at the beliefs she supports now.

She posted a link to an article that boils down to "Round up all the _______ and send them back where they came from". The comments beneath it were what you might read in America regarding the Irish, ca. 1890; the Chinese, ca. 1920; Eastern Europeans ca. 1920's; and Latinos today (all lumped under "Mexicans"). There were a few "Stop all immigration except for our kind of people" comments, too.

England (where the story in the article took place) is a terrific polyglot of cultures and faiths. In fact, the British Isles' history is of settlement by waves of people from somewhere else, peacefully or otherwise. I think it's safe to say that the commenters aren't indigenous peoples from the area.

What's ironic is that she herself is Eastern European, and whose homeland was overrun by Hitler and then the Soviet Union. She grew up in the U.S. but returned to her country of origin, where I admit there is apparently a lot of ethnic and religious tension. Be that as it may, it took several trips to the kitchen and to the bathroom so I wouldn't write "J., you're an immigrant yourself, both ways!" I know that would lead to an unproductive argument.

Or should I say that, even if I'm defriended? It might be worth it just to have my say. I don't know.