View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 AM   #66
Cyclopea

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Lesbian

Thanked 1,617 Times in 633 Posts
Cyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST ReputationCyclopea Has the BEST Reputation

Yes I have always been out at every job since I was 14 years old, even though I have worked in some awfully homophobic and sexist environments. It can be very tiring answering the questions of the sheltered and confused, and I admit in recent years my tolerance for educating folks has waxed and waned. Recently I am just as likely to say "Google it" as provide a diplomatic answer. After 30 years I'm tired of being a 24/7 diplomat for the gay community.

My physical appearance does not allow me the option to pass as heterosexual since I am read as "butch dyke". Heterosexuals I've known who "read" as gay are quick to mention their opposite sex partners in casual conversation so I guess if I wanted to create a fictional life I could try it. That might be fun!

I know someone who invented a fictional baby so she could call out from work when she wanted because "the baby is sick". I always thought that was shocking- I guess because I tend to cultivate friendships among coworkers and don't want to lie to them.

I do think it's important for gays and lesbians to be out to everyone and feel that is what- more than any formal activism- has transformed broad public opinion in our favor. But it is tiring.
Cyclopea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cyclopea For This Useful Post: