View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
Scorp
Italian Stallion

How Do You Identify?:
DNA Usually...

Thanked 4,721 Times in 1,270 Posts
Scorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST ReputationScorp Has the BEST Reputation

In MY case, I am living proof that it works. I'm not speaking on behalf of anyone else but myself. I know/knew a lot folks who did the long distance thing and it ended up being disasterous. You really need to do be sure it's the right thing for you and mostly, be sure the person you're having these feelings for is the REAL THING. It takes a lot of time, communication, patience, trust, etc. etc.

You need to be careful and stick to your gut instinct if something isn't right. Don't take what you're feeling for granted in that respect. Luckily I have great intuition and know when something just doesn't feel right.

A lonnng time ago, I use to talk to a ton of girls long distance and can honestly say, very few were the real thing and had qualities I liked. Think with your head. If I was falling for someone I wanted everything out on the table, it probably felt as though they were being put on a witness stand. I'm not a freak in that way, but, I wanted/needed to be sure, especially if I was considering having an ldr.

Also, I didn't want any broken promises made. Been there, done that. And now that I mention that, maybe that's why I wanted to be sure I wasn't getting myself into something that was bad (somewhat) like the first time.

In my first LDR it was for other reasons that it didn't work out and I was in that long distance relationship for 4 years. Toward the end there were a lot of problems, between the distance playing a big factor, and broken promises made to me, bla bla bla. Finally I couldn't deal with it anymore because of excuses and she couldn't commit to relocating after she told me many times she would. It was best for both of us.

I can't believe I had the patience to wait for her all that time, but again, there were other red flags and it was time for me to break it off. And, to be honest, toward the last few months of that relationship, I started to stray. I knew in my heart it was over.

I had NO interested in doing a long distance relationship ever again. It was time consuming and not to mention, my heart was broken. After the break up, I come to realize maybe I "thought" I was in love. But after everything, I realized it possibly wasn't. That experience grew me up a lot and I learned a lot from it. I lost 4 years of my life and wanted some "ME" time and the last thing I was thinking about was getting into another relationship.

So needless to say, I was against long distance relationships and basically didn't want to get involved with anyone else whatsoever, and mostly anyone who wasn't in located in my state. I'm no glutton for punishment.

Then lo and behold time went by and it happened...I was like wtf??? I can't let this happen again. Why the fuck am I digging girls who are not local??!! I never expected for this to happen, but...it did...

We talked on the phone every single day and night (very long hours during the night), would use vacation time (thankfully I got 4 weeks time each year) I would go see her and she would spend her vacations at my place) 1 - 2 weeks at a time. We could also plan accordingly because we both didn't have children and that was also a factor for us. We could be spontaneous with phone calls, visits, just about everything.

After one year of doing the long distance thing, she relocated to be with me. The first year we both continued to live in our own apartments (we were 2 or 3 miles from one another). Then after one year again, we moved in with each other.

With this, it's now recently been a total 9 years for us. We bought a home 4 years ago, have 2 fur babies and...We're finally getting married next month.

I hit the jackpot with having a wonderful, beautiful, intelligent, woman in my life. Of course we have our moments just like any other couple, but it sure is a great relationship.

Mostly, be smart and make sure it's the right decision for you. Try and visit as often as you can with each other. The same also applies for skyping, phone calls, whatever you can do.

I look back and say "wow". If someone were to tell me 9 years ago I would be in the relationship I'm in, I'd tell them they have rocks in their head and are crazy.

Again, this is MY story and how it worked out for ME.

I wish you all the best with everything.

-Scorp-
Scorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Scorp For This Useful Post: