View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #5
Canela

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Babe, she, her, ella

Thanked 6,524 Times in 1,697 Posts
Canela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST ReputationCanela Has the BEST Reputation
Default Montopolis/Metropolis Chapter 1

From the age of 15-19 I spent each summer in the Montopolis neighborhood on Bluebell Circle. My aunt and uncle and their 8 kids adopted me every summer...it was sooo cool to be a part of such a big family and to live in a new place. Back then it was a new subdivision. A great mix of African American and Mexican American families working, growing, interacting. I'd hang out with my cousins at the "resource center". I never knew such a place even existed...like a boy's and girl's club before they were official.

It was the place where I first kissed a boy, yes a boy, learned to play basketball, and rode a bus (public transportation) without an adult accompanying me. Later, each summer I'd have a job, the Marrimont Cafeteria on Guadalupe, Tom Gro groceries on Montopolis Drive and the freedom that my aunt and having a job gave me.

We'd go to Highland Mall and buy cute clothes, my cousin worked at Lilli Rubin's which of course, I had NO knowledge of...we'd go in the dressing rooms and drink wine and act all grown up and sofisticated. Kinda like playing dress up only with wine...lol

I bought my first punk record, Wendy and the Plasmatics, at a funky cool store across from the UT campus...and a long cigarette holder that was to die for to me back then...

You have to understand, I couldn't do anything at all in my little town in South Texas so going to Austin was a VERY BIG DEAL. When I'd get home after every summer I was a big shot for a minute...lol...

Top 10 reasons I Love Austin?

10. I enjoy the "hills" throughout...

9. The way the capitol building sits in the downtown area, landscaping throughout so green and beautiful...Lake Travis and Zilker Park...Hippy Hollow in my younger days...

8. The way UT sits somewhere downtown also...

7. They have a school for the blind there that my son in law will be attending shortly.

6. My daughter will be relocating with him. She will transfer to UT (sniff sniff) and of course, I will follow...(Little Shug<<co-dependent...)

5. I love the bands, 6th street, street music, festivals, MakMan Records and the OPERA!

4. My cousins! and their very large brood! (So much family and love there!)

3. The Austin crowd lives there! (More family and love!)

Just a recap--It's the capitol city of Texas!

2. San Antonio, New braunfels and San Marcos (read outlets) are just an hour or so away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. My baby is a Sr. this year and she wants to go to school there, too.

Keep your fingers crossed y'all!

I have more reasons to love Austin but these are the ones that come to mind at this time...

Happiness is like a butterfly which,
when pursued, is always beyond our grasp,
but, if you will sit down quietly,
may alight upon you

~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Canela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Canela For This Useful Post: