apretty

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
sea shell
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 4,377 Times in 1,015 Posts
apretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputationapretty Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
YES! I swear not even 2 days ago I looked at Jackhammer in the middle of a conversation about identities and said that claiming the "she" that I am and that she is in our own separate ways is fucking subversive. (and that's hot)
I see some parallels about it having been a subversive act on the dash site to demand and claim female when things were particularly hostile toward "all things female" there.(my read)

isn't it funny that claiming female (and *She*) has become a subversive act?

we're also having these conversations at home, E doesn't get the historical context/background of the *dash* site where SHE = glittery prom dress and HE = could only mean man *and* butch (spit/grunt). and in my FEMME head (like most of us), SHE means all sorts of things (including big papa and my mean old man).

E asked me why everyone (specifically ME) doesn't just leave that 'shit over there'? and i have to admit, it occurs to me that i've been reading/posting/participating *here* from a skeptical/protective (anti-dash?) place--not wanting the *SHE* to become once again marginalized. and in doing so, i've just assumed that the male-folk are comfortable/welcome and taking up space (because of my prior experience: "that's what males do").

frankly, that's not fair of me. new site! and though many of the same people are here, we're collectively older and wiser.

and i've *done* all of the stuff that now makes me cringe: assigning gender, HE-ing all butches, yes! i've done it and it's utter shit and i'm *glad* that i now know better--the world is so much cooler when it's not cleaved in *two*

Quote:
I'm crazy glad you brought this up. I feel like it's a touchy subject about the movement of more young butches toward a Trans identity because I do see layers of "the answer to my "I dont feel ok" problem within that youth community sometimes. And no, it's not really about ageism for me - It is about the youth of anyone's gender identity and how I relate it to what I see as an evolution process for all of us.
Sometimes I have wondered if it is about internal misogyny, about power dynamics, about wanting to gain privilege, about the subversive and intentional "othering" of the self that says "SEEE! SEEEEEE! I really AM a unique and special butterfly!!"
I also recognize that I don't have the right to question any individual's journey to themself, even if it doesn't make sense to me. I would like to understand it though and I hope I get to ask (respectful) questions to make that happen.

it's a hugely sensitive subject! and to say, hey something's not right here and still be an ally: i struggle with balancing the two, still.

i'm well aware of what it is to be partnered to someone exploring their gender and needing to take the steps to correct the gender that they present to the outside world and i've been in the position to be the support and be the advocate for those guys.

so, as difficult as it is for me to say, i do see that *other* stuff goes into transitioning from FTM like internalized homophobia, discomfort or a *lack* of butch community, the faux butch-continuum (she = feminine female and butch-EST = TRANSmale), etc.

and of course this isn't true for even a majority of trans people--but for the butches that see transitioning as a means of dodging the lesbo-bullet i just wanna say: the simple fact is, everyone struggles with being female in this society and you can be female bodied and way more of a MAN than the manliest man out there if you so choose, by virtue of your existence.

Quote:
Word. I think this is what Heart has touched on all over the place (not said in a snarky way, but a way that says I recognize she has been advocating for this vehemently and with utter commendable conviction).
I see misogyny dictating that not only are women "less than" men, but that women also must be "less than" each other. Because that whole construct of "You must be this type of woman with x, y, and z characteristics to be considered valid, desireable, acceptable, and any other number of "unattainable" virtues" is at work *within* our own female communities. Hello? Look at the fractioning with the female/male identities in the Butch communities and the "Diamond-encrusted best-Femme-in-the-Universe EWWWWWWWwouldnevereatpussybecauseitsickybutpleaseo penmydoorbecauseImahelplesswiddlekitten" shit that tries to play out in the Femme community.
That shit is not just about people trying to "gender top" one another. It's the ingrained messages that the world feeds us from DAY ONE about who we are supposed to be and how we are supposed to get there.

a femme subjugating herself is sooooo unattractive!

and it breaks my heart a little because i hold *femme* as precious and unsullied by that patriarchal/hetero/misog bullshit--but the simple fact is, of *course* we're a product of our environment and its messages and while we're not all there, i believe we can all *get there*.

**and a public thank you to Heart for her conviction!!
apretty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to apretty For This Useful Post: