View Single Post
Old 08-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #3428
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,994 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyfemme View Post
I am working on problem solving regarding being part of a leadership group in which I frequently am the only female. This does not bother me in terms of my work and my boss, the executive director, is great with supervision. Gender is more apparent when we are in a meeting either just the leadership group or the leadership team plus outside agencies or companies which frequently I am still the only female. I have no issues presenting information and making decisions. There does seem to be a difference in the way I am addressed versus my male colleagues. I am also aware that one of the male directors that I supervise makes 20% more than I do. I have a higher degree and I am his supervisor yet he makes more.
When I applied for an doctoral program, several years ago, right after Grad School, I witnessed this type of thing with an incoming group of candidates and spotted it within the confines of those in charge of cohorts and admissions. That was an Water-shed moment that stunned me and I don't think I'll ever get over it. I think it's the number one reason why the proverbial spell was broken for me, concerning Higher Education. It's an intricate puzzling situation, with light-year's of institutional support via other institutions not addressing the problematic issue of sex discrimination within the workplace or the cross-over effect from organization to organization in America. It's troubling and my heart goes out to you.... and women in general. It's so ingrained institutionally that even my own mother fails to see how this has affected her. It makes me sad. It makes me fucking angry. It's disappointing. Thanks for sharing about the troubling issues you face in your workplace environment, HappyFemme.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: