The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jet View Post
I'd like to know what your families thought; how they responded to your changes.

Anyone is welcome to answer this.
Well, I'm lucky and unlucky. My mom's family (who I grew up with mostly) have been very supportive (I have 3 uncles and 2 aunts along with my grandmother and a 2nd cousin). My grandmother was the only one who said she'd refuse to use anything but my birthname and gender. I think when she saw how happy and content I was at my aunt's wedding this summer she softened. Certainly they all said that they loved me and were supportive but that they might need time to get used to it. My aunt (the one who got married) and my cousin have been the most supportive of me. My other aunt (who was closer to my mom's age) is a little more conservative and taking a little longer but still supportive.

My grandmother, being a nurse, was concerned about the medical side of things but when I let them know about the regular lab work and doctor's visits they were more supportive. Out of the blue, my grandmother started using "Linus" rather than my birthname during our online Scrabble games. I guess she's starting to come around. I suspect she still doesn't understand or like it but still loves me and just wants me happy. I don't see my family that often (maybe 1-2 a year, if that).

My father and his wife... well, they've never really been supportive and he wasn't in my view of life until I was in my late teens (largely due to court orders and not necessarily something he choose). But his conservative Christian background, I'm sure, tells him not to agree to my path. He has said that as long as I'm happy that's all that matters. Again, I don't see him or hear from him that often. I have a cousin on that side of the family that I occasionally hear from and her mother, my aunt/father's sister, does reach out now and again to me.

Transitioning as an adult, I think, can be somewhat easier because you are living your own life and making your own decisions.
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post: