View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,378 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am not on T but have had a body redistribution via (very) large weight gain then loss over a period of a decade that coincided with aging from 40 to 50. The resulting combination of changes; gravity, age, settling places, has made it much better it terms of specifically pants fit. What tailors call the 'drop' waist to hip ratio, is now correct. I still have a time of it due to overall stature, being pretty short at 5'5" and having a small frame. It puts me exactly one size smaller that what most stores stock in the mens department. Sometimes I get lucky and sometimes I end up in the boys department. Even when I find the right size in tops the sleeves are usually 2-3cm too long, fortunately I have a good non-judgmental tailor. Eg, I wear a perfect 32 regular suit, but have to shorten the sleeves. I don't feel like I am a proportional odd ball and the other comments here about sleeve length seem to bear this out.

The OP, thanks for this thread btw, asked about how this makes us/me feel about myself. I found this quote from the original article to be true to my experiences:

Some, like Chase Strangio, 31, a lawyer at the American Civil Liberties Union who identifies as a man, need a suit for work. “For someone not gender-conforming, court is the environment where you feel most vulnerable and want to feel most assertive,” he said. When he tried on his suit, he said, it was the first time his body did not feel wrong. “It sounds ridiculous, because it’s just clothes, but I was almost in tears, because it was the first time I was affirmed by an experience like that. It was thrilling.”

I was not in law but was in a male profession. I had not worn particularly female appearing clothes but when I changed into higher end clothes and went to all suits it helped alot. It coincided with changing my name so that also came into play. I felt much more confident and in control of myself and by extension my environment. This was the early 90s and I don't even think there was a T in the LGB community then so it felt like a big deal to me. I don't think it is a fluke at all that I almost immediately started earning a higher income. It was all about the confidence for me. I don't wear suits anymore but all male clothes and sport jackets are a staple.

I wear what fits me and I'm so glad it's more mainstream now. That said, the changing rooms can still be a variation on the theme of bathroom confusion inverted at times.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: