Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #1075
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gráinne View Post
Facebook, and myself, because I can be so wimpy.

I'm getting really close to defriending anyone who posts anything but pictures of cats, Russia, and Ireland. I hate the thought of taking the whole thing down completely.

This time, it was a "friend"-you know, one of those people you knew back in Flintstone days and somehow reconnected with. I didn't even know her that well back then, and I am amazed at the beliefs she supports now.

She posted a link to an article that boils down to "Round up all the _______ and send them back where they came from". The comments beneath it were what you might read in America regarding the Irish, ca. 1890; the Chinese, ca. 1920; Eastern Europeans ca. 1920's; and Latinos today (all lumped under "Mexicans"). There were a few "Stop all immigration except for our kind of people" comments, too.

England (where the story in the article took place) is a terrific polyglot of cultures and faiths. In fact, the British Isles' history is of settlement by waves of people from somewhere else, peacefully or otherwise. I think it's safe to say that the commenters aren't indigenous peoples from the area.

What's ironic is that she herself is Eastern European, and whose homeland was overrun by Hitler and then the Soviet Union. She grew up in the U.S. but returned to her country of origin, where I admit there is apparently a lot of ethnic and religious tension. Be that as it may, it took several trips to the kitchen and to the bathroom so I wouldn't write "J., you're an immigrant yourself, both ways!" I know that would lead to an unproductive argument.

Or should I say that, even if I'm defriended? It might be worth it just to have my say. I don't know.
I understand the desire to let it go and oftentimes, there are so many of these smaller occurrences of -ism that happen daily to many of us. I know I've been there. However, imo, standing by silently is akin to condoning it.

So, for myself, I'd do something. Either speak to her about it (either publicly or privately) with the intention of moving forward in your friendship or defriend her and let her know why.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: