Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Since posting this, the fact that NBC fired Matt Lauer without batting an eyelash only reinforces what I believe.

I would like to think you are correct. However, Lauer was not fired for sexual harassment. He was fired for violating the "morals" clause in his contract. Not sure what the morals clause said but they usually refer to anything that leaves the company open to law suits.

I'm not sure he was fired without batting an eye either. Predatory behavior is always known on some level. When it finds its way to the light of day, companies are now vulnerable to civil suits for a hostile work environment.

Part of me wants to believe companies would act for the benefit of their employees. Part of me knows companies act to protect themselves - especially when they are publicly traded and the powers that be need to be accountable to shareholders.

The NYT is a prime example. They broke the story on Weinstein. Yet, just a few weeks ago their White House reporter Glenn Thrush was being investigated for allegations of inappropriate sexual behavior toward other employees. Their answer was to suspend him, take him off the WH coverage, but retain his services.

Two steps forward and one step backwards.

This is a very complex issue and its complexity becomes evident with each instance and every corporate decision of how to deal with it.

The public has a very short attention span, especially for things that are not black and white, and that cannot be resolved easily.

What I hope is that women have learned a few things about how to protect themselves from the experiences of those who have come forward. Hopefully they have learned to size up a potential problem situation and stay away from it. For example, when a business meeting is charged from an office venue to a hotel venue a red flag should pop up. If you agreed to do it anyway and the hotel door is answered by someone in a bathrobe, turn around and head for the elevators. If a business meeting deteriorates into being asked for a massage, get up and leave. If someone grabs your breast or your junk in public and you find that inappropriate, make your response visible and vocal.

Crisis change is relatively rapid. Real change is painstakingly slow.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: