NoahMacchione
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Permanently Banned 08/15/2011
Relationship Status:
Involved

NoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Sparkle,

I have read a Wild Sheep Chase by this author. It is a very short read 110 ten pages total. It is very Monty Python-ish. So, if you like that type of humor you will like this book.

It is a mock-detective tale that follows an unnamed Japanese man through Tokyo and Hokkaidō in 1978. The passive, chain-smoking main character gets swept away on an adventure that leads him on a hunt for a sheep that hasn’t been seen for years. The apathetic protagonist meets a woman with magically seductive ears and a strange man who dresses as a sheep and talks in slurs; in this way there are elements of Japanese animism or Shinto.

There is a sequel to it as well entitled Dance, Dance, Dance which follows the adventures of the Sheep Man and the protagonist from the first book.

I have not read the ones you have mentioned. However, you did ask for a recommendation so I would try the short read and see what you think.

Happy Reading !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Is anyone here a Haruki Murakami fan?

I'm looking for a recommendation.

I enjoyed 'Sputnik Sweetheart' quite a bit -but- couldn't get through the first few chapters of 'Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World' it was incomprehensible to me.

I think I found 'Sputnik Sweetheart' a bit easier because it was more linear with less layers and layers of fantasy and I didn't have to wait so long to "get it".

I love the surrealism & the post-modernism of his writing. I like the themes and his humour. But some of his works feel so barren, so stripped of emotional depth that I just can't get in to them. Or maybe its a cultural thing? Anyone?
NoahMacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoahMacchione For This Useful Post: