Old 12-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #28
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLast View Post
When working in a family business, I certainly had this drilled into me. Unless a customer was abusive, they were right, period.

To be honest, I think the level of courtesy and helpfulness in customer service has declined- mainly due to big box stores that sell on volume. The "good name & faith" of a business does not mean what it used to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLast View Post
True. And online this is often true as well. Sometimes, I really think that our positive face to face communication skills are going to be a thing of the past. Automation of things not only has affected employment, but how we speak to one another. Sometimes I am sickened by how rude and sarcastic people have become- it is different than in the past in social situations to me.

A whole lot of entitlement going on when I think we are all "entitled" to courtesy and a willingness to communicate with each other in a way that leads to mutual understanding no matter if it about a product I bought and want to return or hearing out a loved one or friend.
You are right. It used to be that the customer was always right and that's because, most of the time, they were. Or at least it was an honest mistake and not the customer trying to take advantage of a loop hole or trying to get something for free.

Nowadays, everyone feels entitlement. Kids feel entitled to expensive toys and clothes and getting their way, adults feel entitled to a better life and getting their way. Okay, so some of that bleeds on both sides, but it's the way things are now. Sadly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherboi View Post
I had to learn how to navigate my way around clients that think their warranty covers self inflicted damage. I think it is ok to tell a customer they are in the wrOng. I think it is important to find a way to do it so not to receive complaints about how it is handled. The goal is to make everybody think they won something.
A lot of the time, I know folks just want to be heard and to vent. I know this and can usually provide them with that. When that happens, a solution can usually be found.

It's those jerks that, like in the examples above who just want to fight and be ignorant, that ruin it for everyone. Some folks take the phrase 'the squeakiest wheel gets the oil' very literally.

For myself, I have to be honest and say that I have it much better than I did before, when I worked in open retail and hospitality. Now, I see new folks regularly, and some of them are absolutely jerks, but most of the folks I see are my current customer base and they have been here for a while. I know who to call and bug with delinquent calls and who will eventually creep in here at the eleventh hour, who is going through a hard time and who was just blessed with the keys to a new house, who doesn't mind paying the charges that they ring up and those who will give me grief.

One of them brought this thread to mind yesterday when she was going on and on about the benefits and yumminess of Arbor Mist wine and I have to say that I agree with her. Blackberry merlot is da bomb.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: