Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Travels with Epicurus : a journey to a Greek island in search of a fulfilled life /

Daniel Klein

Klein (Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar, 2008, among others) returned to the Greek island of Hydra at age 73. His return had a new and specific purpose: I want to figure out the most satisfying way to live this stage of my life. Prior experience with the island led to conclude that the old folks of Hydra have always struck me as uncommonly content with their stage in life. But just observing and absorbing what the people had to show and tell him didn't seem like quite enough. To augment his on-site learning, he took with him a stack of philosophy books by ancient Greeks as well as some modern writers. It's an interesting formula, resulting in a lovely little book with both heart and punch, an argument against the forever young syndrome so prevalent in contemporary American society. His contemplative time spent observing the old men of Hydra while reading his small library of the great thinkers led him to an evolving philosophy of a good and authentic old age. --Hooper, Brad Copyright 2010 Booklist
Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: