Old 12-22-2009, 10:01 PM   #14
friskyfemme

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
precious
Relationship Status:
down to earth

friskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputationfriskyfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
We have knapsacks and backpacks, perhaps it's time to stir the things around in the Purse to take a look at Femme Privilege.

Many of us "pass" as straight whether we want to or not.

There is a long list of privileges associated with being Femme in the outside world. Let's talk about them.
I also believe that privilege can be situational. i.e. Femme privilege looks very different on a website geared toward Butches, Femmes, and Queer folks than it does at the supermarket or on the job.

So there it is. Let's have a discussion between Femmes and Feminine-identified people to see if we can do a little unpacking.
I have come in to my own throughout a long metamorphsis. When I first came out 40+ years ago, I presented as butch. This was because it was the closest to what I id. I was raised in a large family with a white collared yankee Dad and a blue collared southern Mom. My Dad was paranoid schizophrenia, abusive, and alcoholic. My Mom was gentle, kind and nurturing. She also could fix anything from a broken washing machine to a child's toy. She appeared tombyish, but she was abused and supressed. I fought my own non hetro id because I reasoned my orientation was due to my poor male role model. So, I got married not once but twice. I have 2 bio children and 1 adopted child. I was only married a total of yrs. As a butch guys didn't hit on me, but I didn't feel comfortable. I met my first love a great butch who allowed me to grow into my skin. Unfortunately, I became aware that I had changed and he didn't unfortunately and we grew apart after 10yrs. I have had a few other longterm relationships but never lasting. I spend one day a week in pampering myself (what I call my femme day). I do feel I have earned my priviledge as a femme. I am capable of letting an interesting guy know I am interested.
If a straight guy hits on me, I am capable of letting him know I am not interested. The difference today then back when I was young, I don't have to qualify with my id. I am confident enough to say thanks but no thanks. I don't have to give a reason. I do believe priviledge is earned. It is not entitlement.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to friskyfemme For This Useful Post: