theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,863 Times in 2,473 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

LOL.....my friend, 'Dusa, brought this out for discussion, bless her heart!!!!

Now she, and everyone else, gets to hear MY rant!!!!

First off, let me say this: First and foremost, I am a curmudgeon. Born and raised. I detest phones, period. That said, let us proceed.

1. How do you feel about people face-timing you without warning or appointment? Does it depend on who's doing it? No one does this with me. My wife must sneak up on me when she's FT'ing our granddaughter, and that I don't mind. The secret is in the "approach". Anyone else?? It's a non-starter.

2. How do you feel when people call or text you during work or school hours?
I'm retired now, but I cling to consistency and old habits, soooo...Historically, I NEVER, EVER answered my phone at work, unless it was from my wife or a close family member. I have always made it crystal clear to everyone close to me that I do NOT "chat" at work. In my profession (Respiratory Therapist in a busy hospital setting), I was "on the clock" and expected to be working with my patients, teaching my students, conducting inservice education with peers or attending to Union matters (on break time, or "official" time), as a Union Steward. I kept my phone on me at work, in order to make myself available for work matters (we had only numerical pagers for a long time, until the VA brought in Vocera), and I hardly EVER gave or give my cell number to anyone but close family.

3. Do you enjoy having long conversations by text? Why or why not? No, I'm busy and find texting, particularly long texting, to be a waste of time. If I have something in depth to talk about, that is what the phone is for.

4. How do you feel about someone calling you over and over within a short period if you don't answer? How about if the person calls you every day even though you aren't answering? Oh HELL NO!!! Want to make me turn the damned phone off??? Just call me repeatedly and that's exactly what I'll do. I used this phone on MY terms, not yours. I pay the damned bill and it is for MY convenience.

5. How do you feel if someone calls or texts you while you are on vacation or at an important event? I ignore the call (after making sure it's not from close family), and then either turn the phone off or silence the ringer. Don't bother leaving a voice mail. I won't ever hear it (I never set it up on my cell phone). Those who know me know to call my house line and leave a message on my answering machine.

6. How early or late do you think is appropriate to call or text someone?
9 PM This was drilled into me, as a child. My parents allowed phone calls up to 9 PM. Any calls after that will be screened (answering machine) or unanswered, depending on the message that is left. Immediate things rate an immediate call back, while other matters can either be ignored or responded to the next day.

7. How do you feel about group texting?
Nope, I don't get into that at all. Leave me out of it. Better yet, if it is important, send it to my wife's phone, as she's more likely (and lots more friendly) to see it than I am.

Again, please tell me all about your views on phone etiquette! I'd love to hear from you folks! Call at a decent hour and try not to be offended if I happen to not answer, and don't get right back to you, unless there's an "immediate" matter. Sometimes, I feel like answering/talking, but most of the time, I don't. Keep that in mind. I am not Pavlov's dog and just because the phone rings doesn't mean I have an inherent obligation to answer it.

~Theo~

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theoddz For This Useful Post: