Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anya* View Post
Ok Kobi.

This is not logical and is almost irrational to me.

I hope that it turns out the way that you believe that it will. Your position is one that I have not read or seen anywhere else in the feminist, humanist or radical feminist universe.

I fear for my own feminist sisters and brothers that will lose their healthcare; I fear for the time when conservatives are on the Supreme Court and abortion becomes even more restrictive or is no longer an option for women to chose; the profoundly incompetent cabinet appointees are in place; I fear for having a president that feels entitled to grab the genitals of any woman he chooses because he is rich, etc.

Feminist?

No, not my brand.

Maybe it is only your brand now.

We can agree to disagree on this.

You smiled because he was inaugurated?

Me? I cried.

We can agree to disagree. We have disagreed all along. Nothing new here.

As for feminism, a refresher course might be helpful.

One of the first thing Barak Obama did was sign the Leddy Ledbetter Act which gave women more time to file lawsuits against companies who engaged in unequal pay practices, lawsuits women rarely win because they just dont have the resources or clout against lawyer overloaded companies.

Instead of Ledbetter, Obama could have just had Loretta Lynch enforce the equal pay act. He choose not to do so. That is institutional misogyny in action.

Obama threatened to withhold federal educational dollars from all school systems if they did not allow transgendered students to have bathroom choices until title ix. The transgendered population compromises what....2% of the population?

Obama refused to use title ix to deal with the rape culture on college campuses. Women comprise more than 50% of the population. This is another example of institutional misogyny in action.

Hard to discuss feminism when women refuse to see, recognize or even know when misogyny is slapping them in their face.Even more detrimental when women support politicians, male or female, who have no qualms of victimizing them even more.

Actions speak louder than words.

Might want to brush up on feminism. Your examples seem to be confusing feminism with liberalism and progressive-ism. Not the same things. Feminism only focuses on the plight of women. The minute the focus is anything but women, it is no longer feminism.

But as I said before, many "feminists" are happy to put the plight of other disadvantaged groups over their own or are happy to support the causes of others when there is no reciprocity. Remember, it was Fredrick Douglass who (supposedly) fought for the end of slavery for blacks AND WOMEN alongside the likes of Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B Anthony. But when push came to shove, he was more than happy to turn his back on women so black MEN could have the right to vote while all women had to wait their turn - that turn came 50 years later.

Seriously, learn something about the history of women. Appreciate those women who fought for you to be seen as a human being rather than property of your father and husband, who fought for you to have the right to divorce and the right to child custody and child support, the right to have a bank account, to enter into contracts, to buy a home on your own merits.

Try stepping out of the convenience box and the canned rhetoric and see the multitude of ways women are still slapped in the face everyday. Listen to young women who think they have equality and who perceive their troubles as a personal failure rather than a systemic problem in a system stacked against them.

There is a lot more to feminism than you seem to be aware of or willing to deal with.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: