Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,610 Times in 3,973 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I actually use these when I plant seedlings outside. Inside, my cats are prone to use any dirt for litter boxes. I have tried for a few years, and they have won each year. LOL. So I am resigned to starting things outside. I DO want to get a greenhouse going eventually. However, I tend to do things in a big way when in reality, my age and my physical limitations might prevent things from happening. I need to bear all this in mind. I dont believe I am limited until I go to do something. LOL.

What I have going for me, is that I did an internship in horticulture therapy, and specialized in creating gardens for those who had limitations. So, I am designing everything this time, to accomodate me as I continue aging. I have raised beds, and am putting in a few more this year. I grow things vertically when I can...like berries and grapes, peas and beans, gourds and melons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious View Post
You can actually make mini greenhouses with the bottoms of plastic soda bottles. They fit pretty tightly around the pots so unless your cats were really determined, the starts would likely be safe. A 2 L bottle bottom fits snugly around a 4 inch pot, and the 750 ml bottle bottom fits around a 2.5 inch pot. I have some lemon and grapefruit seeds starting this way right now so here's a pic of what I mean.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post: