View Single Post
Old 09-21-2019, 03:31 PM   #466
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
That's got to be so incredibly hard on you Kelt. My sincerest condolences to you, as you walk your mother 'home'.

Your post about your mother's dementia squares with an event that happened yesterday at work, while taking calls on the corporate reception telephone line. There's this elderly gentleman, with a southern Mississippi drawl, that draws you in for the 'klll'. He calls at weird random times; I'm guessing it's when his care attendants and nursing staff don't see him pick up the phone.... but he's got dementia super bad. At first, his voice is disarming. You feel like he's got your best interest at heart. Until, he lashes out at you in the most vitriolic of ways, which are as equally disarming. He kept calling the corporate line, wanting to talk to his favorite salesman on the sales and service team. Two minutes after his first call, which I patched through to the sales and service team, I get a call from his favorite sales and service contact on campus. I was told that "Clayton" had dementia and that next time he called, to stall for time, so IT could go behind the 'scene' to establish the identity of the phone number he was calling from... so they could permanently ban him from being able to call and harass the sales and service staff. When they disclosed the story behind the horror show this person was capable of, upending the whole entire day with his cut-throat vitriol, I felt incredibly sad for the sales and service staff, as well as the elderly gentleman who had the disarming Mississippi southern drawl. Dementia is indeed, an very unsettling medical condition for the person affected by it; and also for the people who care for those affected by this life altering end-of-life-story condition.

My heart goes out to you, as you navigate your mother's care.
I don’t want to give the wrong impression. While it is very common with dementia patients to be agitated, angry, paranoid, and subject to personality changes; this is not the case with my mother. She has gone mostly what I call “ragdoll“ she is very sweet and doesn’t ask anybody for anything. I am able to joke with her that she has become the ultimate Buddha with no past and no future, now everything for her is a mildly pleasant surprise, she lives in the present. In this I know that I am very lucky, my hurts are just about watching her drift away. It is difficult to be forgotten by someone when you are right there.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post: