View Single Post
Old 10-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #3726
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,994 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Jitu Brown (Journey for Justice Alliance)

I couldn't find the Educator's forum thread here in the community, but wanted to leave an news link to an very important conversation I'm listening to on Democracy Now.

Amy Goodman featured an news investigation interview featuring Jitu Brown and multiple other VIP activists on the front lines of Education and how "black and brown children/kids" are increasingly targeted by prejudicial, racially motivated flawed policies exacted upon the greater sector of Education and how these right-wing flawed policies hurt children and their families. It's an extended conversation on how right-wing policies in Education have criminalized people of color.

If you're not familiar with Jitu Brown (I just now am learning about him and his activism), I highly recommend tuning into this very important news coverage presented by Democracy Now.

Link to news coverage (which starts at about the 39 minute mark of today's headline news):
Lift Us Up: Meet The Activists on the Frontlines of Educational Justice Movement.

Excerpt from Transcribed Interview:

Quote:
JITU BROWN: Absolutely, and Amy, thank you for having me on. I would just say that we don’t have a policy problem in public education. We have a values problem. There’s a believe system that is rooted in the hatred of black and brown children that fuels education policy. Just think that parent, Zakiya, had to fight because her son was being suspended in preschool. I’ve seen the story over and over again. In Pittsburgh, parents had organized to stop the suspension of kindergarten through third graders. In New York, this has been a fight. In Chicago, young people fought to stop 10-day suspensions in Chicago public schools. If the discipline policies are administered through a lens of hatred that often these policy makers would not apply to their own children. And that’s why the numbers around the suspension of black, brown, and white students for the same infractions are so glaring. That there is a believe system — and we know research says this, first — that black and brown children are viewed as older than their white counterparts.

Link to ~~>>>>>>> transcript of interview

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: