Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
I think when you say "people" you should really be saying "the media." Because we are only able to know what is being said and done through what is being reported.

OF COURSE they are going to going to go for gossip and titillation-- you have to assume that the men who run every media organization have closets full of exactly these same type of skeletons. They are not going to present this coverage as anything more than a train wreck to gawk at.

This is why the Kevin Spacey story has been covered so disproportionately (IMHO) to the 9 other non-Weinstein straight men who were also busted this month-- it is extra bad, but the same-sex aspect opens a whole different channel, one step removed from the editors who are desperately hoping we'll look in that direction and not theirs.

That is an interesting point. I do believe the media operates in such a way as to skew perceptions which in turn skews our understanding as well as our discussions - personal, private and public ones.

As consumers of the media, it is also our choice as to how we interpret things. It is also our choice to question what is being presented, how it is being presented, and why. The media is a tool. What we do with that tool is up to us as people. That has been my point through all my posts.

It is also up to us - as consumers and individual people to pick what it is we choose to focus on in our day to day interactions and discussions. The choices are endless. Do we choose to discuss the realities of sexual assault? Do we seek to enlighten ourselves as to what sexual harassment really means and what it looks like? Do we focus on individual stories? Do we see the bigger picture these stories represent? Do we see common themes across industries? Or, do we choose to keep something a different level?

Quote:
I thought we were all on board with the idea of letting women find their own comfort level when and if they decide to share their story.

I dont understand what this has to do with what I said. I put things in certain contexts to communicate overall ideas. If the specifics are taken out of context, the meaning is lost.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote