Thread: Weinstein
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #9
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

I appreciate everyone's input thus far.

The topic of sexual assault, sexual harassment, inappropriate behavior can take us in many different and valid directions.

With Weinstein, the thing that I am trying to get a grip on is the ways in which his situation unfolded differently from the norm and what might that difference might mean.

What's the norm? Compare Cosby to Weinstein.

For Cosby, his livelihood was threatened. Some venues cancelled his shows, some let the show go on, some straddled the fence.

Weinstein was fired in less than 24 hours. He resigned from the board in a little over 24 hours. The professional organizations ousted him within days.

Camille Cosby has steadfastly stood by her man. Weinsteins wife announced she was divorcing him within 72 hours.

Cosby's colleagues, if they chose to comment, avoided commenting on the accusations, choosing to focus on stories of the person they knew.

Weinstein's colleagues threw him under the bus, drove over him, backed up and did it again.

The media reports on Cosby focus on the time delay in making the accusations and the settlements in such a way as to question the motives of his accusers.

The media reports on Weinstein seemed to be done in such a way as to establish a time line of a pattern of behavior.

The Cosby saga unfolded in very typical ways and has varied little. Weinstein was condemned immediately. That started changing after a week and it is continuing to change back to the norm.

There are distinct differences here. But why? What, if anything, does it mean or potentially mean?

I believe the difference in treatment has to do with the current political climate. Trump being in office who denigrates most women at every turn and sees no accountibity has frustrated everyone who at a loss that his actions are deemed ok. It’s almost feels like since Trump can’t be accountable, Weinstein is the next big thing. I hope that it continues for all abusers. Regardless of position in the world. It should never happen.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post: