Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaras-and-books View Post

Gm3 moments/events that changed your understanding of another group of people.
Really great question, Tiaras-&-Books!
I'm answering it, though it's passed, because it got me thinking this morning.

*The "Holy Cross School Riots" in Northern Ireland in 2002 were an eye opening experience for me, prior to that the ongoing conflict was a very abstract concept for me. I don't know that I will ever 'understand' the kind of violence I saw, but I definitely saw the world (not just Northern Ireland) through different eyes from that point on.

*In 2004 I attended a conference devised and run by young women who were 'unaccompanied minors' (people under the age of 18, seeking asylum, unaccompanied by a parent/guardian or other family member) - they worked with in one of our 'Voices' programs, many of them spoke basic English only. Prior to the conference I knew them as survivors of incredible atrocities, and young women still struggling to survive in a pretty hostile environment, I had an enormous amount of empathy and concern for them. After the conference I saw them as confident, eloquent leaders (and phoenixes) and I was bursting with admiration and respect (and happy tears).

*I feel very fortunate to have met and worked with and gotten to know 1000s of people who are different from me - culturally, socio-economically, ethnically, religiously, politically, artistically, intellectually different - I feel like I've had these 'AHA moments' all my life. And what the moments almost always boil down to is: though our differences are often vast - our human experiences: our reactions, our desires, our emotions are often very similar. And that has made the world seem pretty fucking amazing to me, despite the struggles and the suffering and the never ending treadmill to 'make it better'... that knowledge verges on religious for me, having one of those moments or remembering them has often brought me a sense of faith and hope - when I've felt defeated or exhausted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0LLETTE View Post

GM3 places you'd take a tourist in your area.
*The Smith College Botanical Gardens (especially in the winter, it's a mini-refuge)
*The Montague Book Mill who's tag line is: "Books you don't need, in a place you can't find"
*Downtown Northampton because it has everything you could want in a "small town" Main Street district, original buildings, bustling sidewalks, bike paths, fun shops, artisan boutiques, restaurants of every flavour, cafes, and (mostly) friendly, happy people.

Margaret Sheperd is quoted as saying:
"Sometimes your only available transportation is a leap of faith"

Give me three 'leaps of faith' you have taken, or if you're feeling brave, give me three 'leaps of faith' you should take.