Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,661 Times in 7,652 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

What do you do to promote visibility/awareness?

I've been out for over 40 years and never had the need to promote the visibility of or awareness of lesbians or myself as a lesbian.

I have never hidden who I was and never understood people who felt they needed to live dual lives. I found a peace, pride, and acceptance in just living my life without apologies or excuses.

I hope I have been and will continue to be a role model to other women to do female and woman as it fits them rather than adhere to arbitrary stereotypes expected from outsiders or insiders. THAT is more important to me.

What others might see as acts of kindness, I see as being human. I dont shovel out my elderly neighbors car because I am a lesbian. I dont bring them their newspaper or mail in bad whether because of my lesbianism either.

In my experience, people dont give a rats ass who I choose to sleep with. Such thoughts dont even enter peoples minds as much as we think they do LOL. They do care about who I am as a human being.

I find I encounter more and more issues of "visibility/awareness" and respect within the queer community than I do outside of it.

I find the sexism and misogyny to be quite obvious and offensive.

I find there are more stereotypical assumptions and presumptions made about who I SHOULD be as both a woman and a lesbian rather than accepting an actual display of diversity, something which we are fond of promoting but have noticeable troubling doing.

I have had to address respecting lesbian spaces in a mixed community in many different venues. I wondered if this thread was placed in the lesbian zone for the sake of lesbians or to encroach on lesbian space? Dunno. Only the OP can answer that.

I have often, of late, had to address what a lesbian is to people within the queer spectrum who need lesbian to be something other than what it is. And, I have to address the same issue with outsiders who mistake atypical femaleness for transgenderism.

Frankly, it is all getting rather tiresome.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post: