Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Sometimes I am read as female and sometimes male. I never know until I'm referred to as he or she. We recently sold a house. The real estate agent always referred to me as he (by the way, I never "correct" people on the use of pronouns.) Anyway, the agent, who is male, always referred to me as he. What we noticed though is that he spoke to Melissa in a different tone and manner than he talked to me.

Melissa said for the first time she realized how straight men address women differently than men. He was condescending to her but addressed me as a "buddy." At one point he called her "honey." Was he more sexist than other men? We're not sure. Do many straight men use a different tone of voice and approach to men rather than women? I don't know if I would call how he addressed me as "straight privilege" but I feel like we got to peak behind the curtain of how straight men address each other vs how they talk to women.

Rufus

My experiences are much the same.... amazing, isn't it? Interesting, as I realize that I like this dichotomy in my life (even though it can be difficult at times) because it is in sync with my internalization of female masculinity and keeps me aware of just how far we have to go! Serves as motivation. This probably is so because I am just someone that is ever involved in LGBTIQ politics as well as women's rights. Is different for everyone, I would think.

AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post: