thedivahrrrself

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Sapiosexual Femme
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Grumpy Cat

1 Highscore
Tournaments Won: 4

Thanked 11,662 Times in 2,292 Posts
thedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputationthedivahrrrself Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
The provision same-sex couples has definitely be thrown out of the bill. It makes me very sad. And it means that even more is riding on DOMA being overturned by SCOTUS; and (hoping for the best outcome) when that happens it still means a very long wait for those couples who are currently suffering, most of whom have waited a very long time already. DOMA being overturned won't magically create new laws, it only opens the door for their creation.

I'm saddened and sickened that YET AGAIN our community is a pawn in the political machinations, and an easily disposable one at that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3315674.html

I am so disappointed with this bill. It feels like the health care bill all over again where most of the good stuff gets sold out early on.

I think most importantly, restoring due process to our deportation system and allowing a judge to review cases should not have been controversial.

Secondly queers were thrown out, which is stupid and a loss because the current policy of the State department was to treat partners as family in at least deportation cases, though not for initial immigration.

Brothers and sisters are no longer family in the eyes of Congress either.

The number of highly skilled visas was not addressed. We have 30 engineering job openings for every one American engineer, but we constantly send a flood of engineers home after their student visas expire.

I could gripe all day about this thing. The one positive thing I can say is that Democrats typically do incremental policy, so I hope this is something we will see evolve more in the near future.

And I am glad the kids get to go to college. It used to be so heartbreaking to tell young people they weren't eligible for an education here. I hope many lives will be improved by this opportunity.
thedivahrrrself is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to thedivahrrrself For This Useful Post: