View Single Post
Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 AM   #11
not2shygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
as a Lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
under the cover of starry starry nights...enjoying a warm fire in the pit !

Thanked 2,454 Times in 546 Posts
not2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputationnot2shygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Well, around here I am the lesbian that is visible!! For many years tho I lived in a city that had visibility. Sometimes it was seen as positive and sometimes it was seen as negative. That was dependent on where you were at the time of holding hands for example, and if not in a social lesbian club or gay safe place there were some additional locations such as parks and known areas. Also for me, being around and with my family with my gf was/is always positive.

I like the term lesbian to identify something about me, I wear that term proudly!! I think as time goes on there are different words used from what I know and knew. Yea, I think id terms were more extreme being one way or the other back then, butch being the most definitive, and yet femme was used generically if you were not butch. That left a lot of room for how people identified about themselves but didn't know how to be even more different with adding more terminology. At some point I grabbed onto the word tweener in the late 90's to describe myself. To describe someones id/look and now with all the variables it can be confusing and feeling lost or not seen happens more frequently. I have to say I remember feeling sometimes from with in and what I saw among my friends and acquaintances was the in-between of that one way or another, hence the tweener word. Where I live is rural and I don't expect to see another lesbian out here .....as much as I hope to.....she is not gonna fall out of the sky and land beside me!

The Lesbian Connection For, By & About Lesbians is alive and well, even has a website!! They do ask for a donation, but it is not necessary as they are " free to lesbians worldwide" . The cover still always promotes women art. They have been around for many years and I am happy they are still thriving!

So maybe the term lesbian is not used as much, maybe outta all the gay possibilities us lesbians are the thinkers and watchers with different variations. It's not to say that we are complacent, but I am OK with no lime light. I know where I came from, and I know where I want to go. I thank the many before me that laid the path I follow, and hopefully I have added some bricks to the path to keep it going for others. Lesbian sisters...I love you !! I see you......I just know we will always exists and are not doomed. Aww hell, hopefully not sounding full of my lesbianism .....even responding here makes me feel a little elitist with that title!
not2shygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to not2shygrrl For This Useful Post: